Formula SAE Competition
Formula SAE is a worldwide collegiate design competition that challenges engineering students to design, manufacture, and build a formula-style racecar from the ground up. This competition is put on by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE). The objective is to build a formula-style racecar that will be evaluated by industry professionals for its potential to be produced for the non-professional autocross racer. Each team will be tested on their ability to research, design, build, and test their own formula car based on set rules provided. During competition, each team will be put through a series of events grouped into static events and dynamic events. During static events, judges scrutinize the design and cost of the car. Dynamic events test the performance and durability of the car. The goal of this competition is for students to get practical knowledge of what it takes to be an engineer, such as research, design, manufacturing, testing, development, marketing, management, and financing of a project.
- Design Report (150 points) Industry professionals question students on the design of the car and components. Engineering knowledge, justification, testing, and good design practices are discussed.
- Cost Report (100 points) The team must prepare and present a cost report which details the material and manufacturing cost of every aspect on the formula car.
- Presentation Event (75 points) A business and marketing plan must be presented to company executives and potential investors.
- Acceleration Event (100 points) A simple straight line acceleration. Top teams reach 60 mph in less than 4 seconds.
- Skidpad Event (75 points) The driver and the car are tested for the maximum lateral grip on a 15 m diameter figure 8 pad.
- Autocross (125 points) Two drivers get 2 runs each to dart between cones and set the fastest lap possible.
- Endurance (275 points) A 22 Kilometer course with a driver change halfway. The car must restart under its own power.
- Fuel Efficiency (100 points) Points are awarded for formula cars with the best fuel efficiency during the Endurance Event
2022 Michigan - May
2022 Michigan - June